Sunday, February 22, 2015

What I'm writing...


After ending the year with the release of the 2nd edition of the Historical Research Companion and, shortly before that, the contemporary novel Ghost of a Promise, it has taken a couple of months to decide what's next in the writing plans. There are, of course, characters and story ideas for sequels waiting in the wings. But, for a time, I felt undecided between picking up the reigns of what I've started and the temptation to begin anew. And by "anew," I mean totally different characters, perhaps even different genres. Different is the key word. I even consider writing something new under a different name. (That way my "old" characters can't find me, right?)

As it turns out, "resistance is futile." The pull of sequels and writing the stories of those beloved and familiar characters has prevailed. Now, I don't think that it's such a bad idea to write under a different name to give yourself the permission to be different, but that's as far as I took it. I guess it's as far as I needed to take it. Because as soon as I declared my intent to go one way, then that rather annoying contrariness thing took over and I felt my interest renewed in the path not chosen.


I've added these descriptions to the page What I'm Writing...


***An Unsuitable Entanglement***

Romance is not on the agenda for Alison Gray. The take-charge Guardian found her confidence shaken by the role she played to restore her beloved Order of time-traveling Guardians to its former honor. Now, armed with a list of names she paid a high price to obtain, all she cares about is finding the banished Guardians and bringing them home. For this she needs help...preferably from a trained Guardian. Instead, she gets Lord Percifield, a 19th century English peer who doesn't seem to have a serious bone in his admittedly splendid body. It can only be described as an entirely unsuitable entanglement!

Genre: Time Travel Historical Romance
Length: Novella

Also in the works is what has turned out to be a cross-over story. This time-travel story matches a 21st century heroine with a dark, mysterious hero with a complicated past. You've met Carrie, I hope, from Ghost of a Promise. She is Ben's idealistic and feisty red-headed sister...who also has a touch of psychic ability. You've also met the hero, I hope, from the pages of the Guardian Angel Series. I'm afraid I can't give too many clues as to his identity!

***Worth the Risk***

Getting into trouble runs in the family.  In the wake of a political scandal, Carrie Riley is a witness who knows too much and it's up to Nick Fallon to keep her safe and alive in the days before her Grand Jury testimony. But in the unusual hideout of a Victorian mansion, Nick discovers the depth of her painful secret and a new and fragile intimacy is forged between them.  Protecting Carrie from a killer becomes a very personal mission and he will use every resource at his disposal to keep her safe. And what better way to put her out of a killer's reach could there be than to remove her to another time?

But even if Carrie has experienced more than her share of the paranormal -- and handles the new experience of time travel remarkably well -- he knows the chances are slim she can accept him once she knows his true identity. Will she find him worth the risk?

Genre:  Time Travel Romantic Suspense
Length: Novel


***
In both stories, I've enjoyed matching heroes and heroines who are opposites. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they are "impossibly incompatible." And that's just where I like for them to begin. Well, I take that back. I admit to a lot of groaning when the "impossibly incompatible" factor falls into place. It may not be that I like them to have so much against getting to their happy ending, but know it's where I need them to begin. I promise though, they will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Popular Posts